The MacKillop Farm Management Group was formed in 1998 following a bus trip to Geelong to view raised bed cropping systems, with founding chairman, Ian McNeil.
In conjunction with a number of farmer groups, MFMG initiated a research and extension programme for high rainfall cropping in the South East. It was proposed that the cropping area in the South East could be lifted to 50,000 hectares by 2004, with yields being increased by 25%.
In 1999, MFMG applied to Southern Farming Systems for association as a South Australia Branch, with a total of 15 members. Also in 1999, driven by Charles Koch, the Neuarpurr White Clover Growers Association was formed. Following discussions between the two groups – the White Glover Growers Association became a sub committee of MFMG in 2004. Then in 2011 – it then became the MacKillop Irrigation Management Group, to better reflect the needs of the group and to be more inclusive of growers in the region.
In 2006 the MacKillop Group then became a separate identity and became known as a farming systems group within its own right, gradually increasing its membership base to over 250 growers throughout the South East in 2014.
2018 celebrates MFMG’s 20th year and now includes members in the Upper South East or the medium rainfall zone (MRZ) region. MFMG currently has around 370 members, 30 sponsors and has trial sites spread throughout the South East of SA and into Western Victoria.
Some highlights of the MFMG
- Trent Potter was been a committee member from the group’s inception until 2012 when he resigned from SARDI
- National Australia Bank have been a major sponsor since 2004 as have Landmark
- Wayne Hawkins and Martin Flower were on the first committee and Martin is also on the current committee
- Jen Lillecrap (Trott) has been involved with trial and project work for the majority of the time
Winning the 2013 Luekaemia Foundation Sustainability Award at the SA Regional Awards (Limestone Coast)
- Initiating and facilitating the South East Agricultural Leadership Program 2014
- Winning the Ag Excellence Alliance Sustainable Farming Award 2015
The original MFMG logo
MFMG History Document
For a complete history over the years of Management Committees, Sponsorship, Highlights & Research